Monday, December 8, 2008

WEEKLY PROJECT: The [BLANKITY] [BLANKS]!

This is going to be a weird one and super comic book geek so bare with me...

So I was looking at some artwork from Dave Gibbons' awesome concept art book for The Watchmen called Watching the Watchmen (excellent Christmas idea... hint) and it reminded me that the Watchmen were originally supposed to be Charlton Comics characters (Peacemaker, Blue Beetle, The Question, Etc.) but were changed to unique characters when the character rights were deemed to expensive (or some other b.s.).

Comics have done this character concept repackaging forever. I can't tell you how many Batman analogs are out there. So... here is the assignment: You provide me an existing superHERO (no villains) and a basic theme I will repackage it to fit with a new name, picture and costume. Got me? Good... start submitting your hero ideas. If I get enough of them I'll make a team.

It is a pointless exercise... but those are my favorite kinds!

20 comments:

izenmania said...

Golden Age (robot) Human Torch and his young flaming sidekick, Toro.

Stowe said...

needs a new theme... preferably one chosen at random. And only ONE hero per submitter (no sneaking in the sidekicks). So pick G.A. Human Torch OR Toro... not both.

Unknown said...

Iron Fist repackaged for the Sin City universe.

Geffen said...

That lovable Bone character in Spawn's universe.

Monique said...

Blade in "From Hell"

Stowe said...

okay... look. BONE is a superhero! Jesus people...

Now if you want Spawn with an anamorphic cartoon character with no pants theme... THAT I can do.

Monique said...

And I am not barin' with you, Stowe. It's too damn cold.

Stowe said...

Okay, I can see already that you guys aren't exactly getting the assignment.


All I want is a random superhero and a random theme.

I am not drawing a hero from one comicbook in the style of another coomicbook.

Although... that is very interesting in and of itself... BUT IT IS NOT THE ASSIGNMENT.

Monique said...

I axed for an example of a random theme and you did not provide one, dammit. What do you have in mind?

Geffen said...

Kaneda from Akira (you better believe he is the hero in there) in a little mermaid theme.

(If we don't define themes by other character's universe what the hell is a 'theme')??

Stowe said...

Okay...

I understand that everyone is clearly not as dorky as I am and can't looking directly into my skull in order to understand my thoughts.

With that in mind I will give you an example.

With Watchmen The Charlton Comics' gadget using superhero Blue Beetle was turned into Nite-Owl, another gadget using superhero with a completely different repackaged theme (in this case: "Owls" instead of "Beetles").

So, if you ever wanted to see Wolverine if he was "Beaver" or "Giraffe" themed instead... this is the Weekly Project for it.

Does everyone follow?

Stowe said...

Holy Crap...

Kaneda from Akira is not a Superhero.

All of you people are just fucking with me aren't you.

Monique said...

OK, does this work: Blade repackaged as a Japanese schoolgirl werewolf with immunity to the full moon and silver bullets? Admittedly, I'm not a comic book geek, which may be why this is twisting my brain in a way equivalent to reading French philosophy.

Josh said...

Cyberpunk Ironman

Josh said...

Crap.. i meant STEAMpunk Ironman.

Unknown said...

batman as a transient/hobo with bummed out gadgets.

Geffen said...

Silversurfer as a rollerblader. And as a kid he had soapshoes!

Geffen said...

I think he got too frustrated to respond. We win!

Droid116 said...

Magnus Robot Fighter - Hero

Corrupt Insurance Adjusters - Theme

Spiderman - Hero

Dung Beetle - Theme

James Derkowski said...

A little late to the party, but here goes:

Hero: The Phoenix
Theme: an Osterich


Hero: Green Lantern
Theme: Pink Lingerie

Hero: the Hulk
Theme: powers in reverse